Essential Core Teaching Strategies To Help Make You a Great Teacher!!
Discover the basic core teaching strategies that are a must for all new and inexperienced teachers.
At times, teachers may feel inundated with theories, methodologies and many different teaching strategies that they have been exposed to. But please know that you can decide how you want to run your classroom, and how you want to apply your teaching strategies.
As I have told my student teachers, and any new or inexperienced teachers that I have mentored, observe, if you can, different teachers and take note of their teaching strategies and read about advice that experienced teachers have written. Then, decide which strategies are best and which fit your teaching style with your students.
This page briefly describes what I consider to be essential core teaching strategies. These strategies have have held true for me throughout my 33 years of teaching. As you read through the various pages of my website, I'll pass on more details about each of these core teaching strategies as well as many other additional strategies.
My 7 Essential Core Teaching Strategies
is the teaching strategy that I consider to be most important in creating an effective teaching environment to ensure that your lessons will run smoothly and each teaching day will be a success.
Classroom Management covers a wide range of topics from classroom discipline and behavior management, to communication strategies both verbal and non-verbal, to classroom rules and classroom time management. Implement some of the strategies behind these topics and you'll be on your way to a successful teaching career.
2. Getting to know your students with these
back to school games
back to school worksheets
will help you understand their strengths and weaknesses. Know what you can expect from each one of them. Connect with them and they will connect with you.
3. Continually Encourage and Motivate. As a teacher one of your top priorities is to be able to motivate your students. It's the key to drive them to reach their potential and achieve their future dreams and goals.
is a necessity so that learning becomes a continuing, improving, interesting and hopefully enjoyable process.
teacher student relationships
. It is so vital to having a successful school year. You must respect, care about and show concern for, the development of your students. Teachers that create a positive learning environment and show that they care are most likely to have their students reciprocate and show respect for them and their fellow classmates.
Parent teacher communication
is critical. When dealing with parents you must always remember to act very professionally even if you have formed a close bond with a parent. Always be ready to speak and work with parents for the betterment of their child. In some cases this may involve a fair bit of tact when dealing with difficult parents or a difficult situation. You are accountable to the student but parents are also responsible for their child and accountable to you.
6. Be Accountable ... You are responsible to your students (foremost), their parents, your school, and of course, to yourself. This is an on-going process every day, week, and month of the school year. It is imperative that you always keep that in mind.
7. Teaching is "the best profession ever" if you have a real passion for it. Show your love for what you do, have FUN with your students and you will all benefit and learn from your experiences.
As you progress and gain experience in our great profession, I know that you will realize that using the core teaching strategies that I have briefly described here will make you a better teacher. Incorporate them into your daily routines and both you and your students will benefit greatly.
Try These Strategies and Have Fun!
Two more important things for you to seriously consider before you move on and read about these teaching strategies. As a new teacher, having a good mentor can be a tremendous bonus to guide and support you with any daily concerns and issues that may come up.
1. Read my tips on finding a
and make your entry into this great profession an easy an successful one.
2. Keep in touch with what's happening in the world of student education by subscribing to my monthly newsletter, Terrific Teaching Tips. Each month, it will provide you with interesting and useful strategies, writing tips and information.
Return from "Core Teaching Strategies" page to "Home" page