The Benefits Of Online Education.
What You Need To Consider!!
The benefits of online education to obtain a graduate teaching degree online or just to take some online certification courses are worth considering.
Online education courses can provide you with personal satisfaction and motivation as well as increase your earning potential!
One of the reasons that teachers go into the teaching profession is that they realize the importance and benefits of education and the satisfaction that one gets from discovering and learning new skills, ideas and concepts.
Now with the proliferation of the internet, learning through online education has never been easier and the benefits of online education are many.
What is Online Education
Online education refers to any type of education that is based on remote learning across a computer network, the internet being the best example - but it can also be instruction given across a remote campus.
In other words online courses supplement or replace on-site classroom instruction.
There are several forms of communication used to provide online education, from email communication to full conferencing capabilities using applications such as WebEx or Microsoft Live Meeting.
These applications not only allow shared viewing of documents, files, slides and presentations, but also allow shared writing space for interactive discussions.
Online continuing education courses are becoming more common and popular in colleges and universities and taking online graduate courses and even obtaining an online masters degree in education is a real and valid option for teachers today.
What are some of the other benefits of online education?
Continuing education through online courses particularly through online summer courses offers many advantages:
* Time flexibility - Teachers who are involved with jobs and family have the flexibility to study at times when their workload is less, whether that is in the evening, on weekends or during school breaks.
* Pace flexibility - In many cases students can proceed at their own pace without feeling the embarrassment of not being able to keep up with other students in a classroom environment.
* Location flexibility - Think of the time and money saved in not having to travel to a classroom location, with access to all course and reference materials through your computer and the internet in the comfort of your home.
* Communication flexibility - Taking courses online provides a quick and efficient way of communicating with the teacher or other students, receiving or handing in assignments and even taking exams.
Selecting the Right College or University
Each student has different requirements when it comes to choosing the school that is right for them, but to get the real benefits of online education, here are some of the things to look for:
* First and foremost, research any colleges or universities that you are considering and make sure it is accredited.
There are many schools that will provide you with a certification or degree that is, as the saying goes, not worth the paper it's written on.
Select a program offered by an accredited institution and make sure any credits you earn can be transferred to another school.
* How long will it take to earn your degree and what are the program entry requirements? Two signs of a school providing fake degrees is the ridiculously short time that it will take you to earn your degree and the lack of any requirements to get into the program.
Clearly these schools are just interested in your money.
* How do students communicate with each other and with the instructor? Legitimate schools encourage interaction between students and instructors?
* What facilities are available for getting administrative, academic and technical support? These facilities should be on par with those available to campus students.
* If time is important to you, what is the flexibility in attending class lectures, taking exams, etc.? Is there ever any requirement to attend the school in person?
* What materials are required and can they all be obtained online?
* What is the school's track record in providing online courses and degrees? Get some statistics as to the success of the school's online program - number of graduates, etc.
So as you can see the benefits of online education are many.
Return from "Benefits of Online Education" page to "Home" page
Return to "Professional Development For Teachers" page